This parish began an independent life in 1908 as an off-shoot from St Augustine’s, Neutral Bay. The sanctuary, tower, transepts and first bay of the nave were built in 1909 and opened for worship in May that year. The rest of the nave, the baptistry and porch were added in 1910 and dedicated by Archbishop Wright on 26 May 1911. The parish hall next door was begun in 1922 as a war memorial and opened in 1923 by William Morris Hughes MHR.
Ernest Alfred Scott, the architect of St Peter’s, designed it in the light of the principles of the Oxford Movement, the nineteenth century Catholic Revival which had begun in the Church of England in the 1830s. The building is in the neo-Gothic Federation style.